Saturday, April 19, 2014

Reviewing: The Maze Runner (book)

The Maze Runner
By: James Dashner


What It's About!

"If you ain't scared, you ain't human." 

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He's surrounded by strangers--boys whose memories are also gone.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It's the only way out--and no one's ever made it through alive.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.




My Thoughts!

This book was chosen as this month's read for April in a book club I participate in. Going into the book I was looking forward to a dystopian adventure similar to Hunger Games or Divergent. What I got was some never ending 90's computer game read. Although this book kept me interested as far as staying focused reading...it drove me crazy. 

It was extremely dry with way too much suspense. I stayed aggravated for 300+ pages due to lack of information. 

The maze had zero mystery to me. 

The whole,"STOP ASKING QUESTIONS." was infuriating. In Thomas' position who wouldn't ask questions? Seriously?! 

I couldn't take the horrible made-up slang. "shuck-face" "klunk" Every time I would read "shank" my mind would read skank and I would immediately drift to the movie Mean Girls. "Gretchen, stop trying to make fetch happen! It's not going to happen!" 

So this book was not for me. Some may outweigh the bad and be hooked enough to read the next book just to see what happens, but I am not that invested. I personally won't dedicate anymore time. Nor would I refer it to anyone in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment