Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Reviewing: Broken

Broken
By: M.L. Young

What It's About!

Bailey Wrenn is a small town girl with a big back story. Her mother left when she was young, leaving her in the care of an out of touch alcoholic father that barely noticed her existence. After trudging through life with no clear direction, she begins to wonder if she needs to leave this scarred memory of a town behind and finally move on. When Bailey hears from her friend Julie that life in Chicago is great and she should come out sometime, she takes that open invitation, and comes to visit her old friend with no idea of when she’s going to leave.

One night, after Julie drags her from the apartment to see a local fight, she sees Kyle, a mysterious MMA fighter with a winning streak and an elusive personality. He doesn’t talk to anybody after his fights, and disappears faster than Bailey can blink. One day during a chance encounter filling out job applications, Bailey runs into Kyle at his work, and the electricity between them is bright enough to light up the city.

It’s only when they begin to get close, though, that things are turned upside down. An old boyfriend and a brutal and devastating past makes Bailey believe she can’t be close to another man ever again, even if he seems perfect. She feels alone. She’s broken. 


My Thoughts!

I received this book through Net Galley in turn for an honest review..

I was very generous to give this book a three star rating. The only reason it got a three was because it kept me interested to read it quickly.

Kyle and Bailey were boring! There was no chemistry. No passion. They never argued..no problems. Too storybook unbelievable perfect. I didn't believe it. I didn't buy their love.

There was quite a lengthy memory sequence where Bailey remembers her mother leaving and we never really got any answers as far as where her mom went and why. That bugged me. It also irked my nerves that her dad was a pretty serious alcoholic, then all of the sudden got his life together when she left. Bull (cough cough) crap. If you're going to paint us the dark picture of her father failing as a parent due alcoholism and scaring her enough to run...maybe she should be human in it taking a little more than a phone call to mend a broken relationship. She was too quick to forgive in my personal opinion.

I didn't really care for Bailey. I found her to be whiny and poor pitiful me throughout the read. It was always about her. It just wasn't my kind of read all around. I won't read it again and I wouldn't refer it to others. Just my opinion...

No comments:

Post a Comment